Monday, March 16, 2009

Quitting

For the past year or so, I have been working on cutting drastically on one of my many vices. Coincidentally, this happens to one that goes way, way back to the point that this is one of the things people from elementary school remember about me.

That vice is coke. (Coca-cola, not... nevermind.)

I have had this beverage for as long as I can remember. For a very long time, I was drinking (for the most part) a can a day. On stressful/hot/celebratory days, that could be more. There were also spikes where I was drinking more than a can a day.

You might be asking why.

As everyone knows, America generally introduces you to larger portions. These large portions have combined to cause my weight to climb a little bit. While that's a contributing factor, it's not a driver of the reason.

As rumors have it, Coke is consider to be the fizzier of the two main Colas. Again, this is not a reason to quit. (If anything, it's a reason to continue!)

The honest fact of the matter is, my taste buds have changed. One day, I was halfway through my daily coke when I looked at the can and said: "This thing is too sweet." After that, I just drank less and less of it. I have never considered moving to the Diet/Caffeine-free/Zero/Cherry/any other variant of it. There was never a moment I decided to taste Pepsi (because that's garbage).

Maybe I am less OCD than I thought...

It would be dishonest to say I never crave a coke or I never drink it. However, I'm probably down to one or two a week, if even that. To put an actual statistic on it; I think I will try and log every coke I drink somewhere on the page of this blog. We will truly see how much I've really quit.

And we can't finish this story without irony: I started quitting when I began to get Coke for free.

As a side note, I've noticed that I've developed a taste for many things I hated as a child. In particular: pickles and honey dijon (NOT the regular mustard, that's still garbage in my eyes).

---

Song Of The Moment: Jason Mraz - I'm Yours
Comment: I think this is my 2008 song.

No comments: