Sunday, March 8, 2009

How to fix Tal's Apple Products

As some of you may know, I have been rocking iPods in various forms for a long time.
I own a 4G iPod, 1G Shuffle, 2G shuffle, and an iPhone. After today's events, I have come to believe that these products are, from a functional standpoint, almost indestructible.

My 4G is exhibit A in this conclusion. I have body slammed this phone on two occasions snowboarding. Instead of luckily landing on snow during the fall, I decide to choose an ice patch to attempt ipod-icide. The result: a crack on both sides between the white portion and the metallic portion. However, it was still playing music with no problems.

On my trip to Europe, on a nice patio in Spain, I got up too quickly without realized my ipod was on my lap. The result: the ipod cease to work. This was going to be a huge damper on my trip. As my trip-mates could attest, I would not stop bitching about my lack of music. In Amsterdam, I took it to an Apple store we stumbled upon. The clerks told me that I would have to send it back to North America for repairs. When they saw my crestfallen face, they suggested an off-label remedy. Their experience had taught them that some people were able to fix their ipods by slamming it hard to 'bump' the hard drive head back into place. When pondering the solution, as absurd as it sounded, it was worth a shot. It wasn't working. If I slammed it and broke it, it still would not be working. What do I have to lose. I asked to clerk to perform the procedure. With a SLAM into the desk, the ipod decided to revive!

Now for my iphone. My iPhone took a trip to Whistler. Knowing my ipod experiences, I decided to play it safe and leave the phone in Julian's car. This particular weekend, it was colder than usual in Whistler (-22 degrees C). When we got back to the phone, its vibrate functionality was broken. Instead of a vibration, it made a sound like there was a dead cat in my phone. From December until now, I had put off dealing with this issue; hoping that the phone would fix itself. This weekend, the lack of vibration and missing all my calls was the final straw.

Last night, I go to the Apple store for first line defense. I was told that my phone is out of warranty and I'm S.O.L. Trading my phone would cost me, well, as much as a new one. However, I could try a few repair shops that they recommended. Today, I head down to 23rd to see these guys. As I am wandering around, trying to find the iphone help desk and leering at the sheer amount of Apple products in that store, I realize something. Subconsciously, I had been playing with my iphone's vibrate button. What do you know, the little bugger was vibrating again.

I made the trip down for no reason. Apple's reputation for revival is still strong. Having said that, I broke and fixed the vibrate a bunch of times. All it takes is a good shake. This week will be spent investigating if I can shake this vibrate mechanism back into place. Oh, Apple. How you toy with my mind. I don't understand how you can make products that seemingly fix itself. It's pretty awesome.

Yes, I jsut wasted 5 minutes of your time. You don't even want to know how long I spent writing it!

---

Song Of The Moment: Jason Mraz - I'm Yours
Comment: This song makes me happy.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

this is my favourite post (from u)